Thursday, November 16, 2006

Edinburgh… reliving the glory days

After two days of orientation and a hell of a lot of people informing me that Manchester is notorious its ridiculous crime rate. Some of the most insightful comments by staff were “don’t withdraw money at night”, “don’t take your phone out of your pocket at night”, “don’t walk through parks at night”. Essentially, don't do anything after dark.

So I quickly made tracks and a brief three and a half hour train journey later, I was back in Edinburgh. What an awesome city! Despite arriving at night under the shroud of some heavy fog, enough could be seen to send all the brilliant memories flooding back.

First stop, Ruth’s house for a shower, shave and a few slices of toast for dinner. The essential preparation for a night out. We hit the new bar in town (Tigerlily) in a big way, mixing it up with the local socialites, naturally with a bottle of Veuve in hand. Meanwhile, Nick and Clem were halfway across town at a somewhat less classy establishment, Espionage. So, of course, we managed to co-ordinate our drunken activities and met them there, although it was no easy feat to locate them amongst the seven levels of clubbing madness. Needless to say, once Nick and I teamed up at the bar, there were tequila shots and vodka and cokes flying everywhere.

The morning after recovery breakfast was equally great – a proper Scottish fry up, including sausages, hash browns, mushrooms, tomatoes, haggis, black pudding, spinach and a poached egg. Add fresh orange juice and a couple of short macchiatos and voila! Instantly feeling better. The rest of the day was spent shopping (I even paid a visit to my old workplace, Harvey Nichols, where I discovered the entire staff had been turned around since I was last there) and watching the Manchester United game at a pub. This was nicely followed with an afternoon nap and then a quick drive to the cinemas to watch the much publicised Talladega Nights. Sadly, not Will Ferrell’s finest work. Much better than Bewitched, but not as hilarious as Anchorman.

The following day was filled with a riveting homeware shopping trip to John Lewis and BHS to pick up some essentials for my bite-sized room. Then I was back on the Virgin Express (oddly, the name of the train) and whisked away to Manchester just in time for commencement of Freshers’ Week! Bring it on...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home